Canine Cataract

farmers and pet owners can post their problems and get professional opinions....

Canine Cataract

Postby gspal1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 am

I have gone through your whole forum as well as reference websites like doglibrary.com but did not find anything on canine cataract.

I am living in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India. My pet dog, Jerry, a white Male German Spitz nearing age 13 is becoming blind due to cataract. For most part of the day it prefers to keep its eyes like slits and prefers the dark interiors of the house and bumps around. The onset had started about a year ago but became more pronounced last July after its annual vaccination of 6 in 1 and corona. There is no veterinary ophthalmologist here. The only surgeon-cum-radiologist here performs pinhole surgery rather than replacement of the lens. According to him the pinhole surgery would allow it to see but everything would be hazy.

Jerry does not suffer from any diabetes. An ultrasound last month had shown healthy kidneys and liver and blood chemistries had produced normal renal and liver function tests. It weighs 13 kg which is normal for a German Spitz. It has has a healthy lineage with cataract not being hereditary.

At various veterinary sites abroad via Google I have come to know that eyedrops containing N-Acetyl-L-Carnosine dissolve cataract. Is this possible? Ocluvet.com markets these products abroad. I would appreciate advice on such drops along with a reputable and effective brand available with chemists. People For Animals and vets here have not heard of any such eyedrops dissolving cataracts. Human ophthalmologists do not perform cataract surgery on dogs and this includes Mansarover Eye Hospital, Lucknow which houses the office of People For Animals.

Please help.
gspal1
Apprentice Poster

Return to Help Needed