puppy not drinking water??????

farmers and pet owners can post their problems and get professional opinions....

puppy not drinking water??????

Postby mithhi » Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 am

hi all
i have a 5 weeks old labro black puppy named zorro...i brought him when he was approx 4 weeks old....he is doing quiet well...i give him a diet of curd,cerelac,few pedigree chunks,sometimes mashed bread...all properly mashed and blended in warm water...which he seems to enjoy quiet a lot...initiallly i used to mix 1-2 tbsp of milk also...but he started passing loose unformed stools so stopped it...now his poop is firm and formed....but my problem is he just doesnt drink water....no matter what i do...how hard i try....he refuses completely to have it....but he pees normally....sometimes i think more than often!!!
can it pose to grow into some kind of problem...as far as i know water is essential....what should i do to make him drink water.....or should i just be patient...n wait till he grows little more old and starts drinking on his own......which i think isnt goin to happen............kindly help!
mithhi
Apprentice Poster

Re: puppy not drinking water??????

Postby maverick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello,
Until your puppy is passing urine normally and regularly you need not worry. You are right that water is an indispensable part of the diet of your puppy, but water requirements vary depending on age, breed, weight of the puppy and other environmental factors like temperature, humidity etc. It’s just ok to let your pet decide how much water it needs, on your part let you keep some clean fresh water at its disposal.
Plain drinking water is not the only way your pet fulfils its water requirement, remember that you do provide it water while preparing other foods, and most of the fresh foods have a good percentage of moisture in them. These water sources (another water source is the metabolic water that is formed when nutrients are metabolised in the animal’s body) may just be enough to take care of your pet’s daily requirement. With age as his/her size increases you will see that water intake will increase too.

For the time being as long as your puppy is urinating sufficiently (6-8 times a day) you can rest assured that it is getting its water requirements fulfilled.
maverick
Expert Poster

Postby mithhi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

thanks for the advise
mithhi
Apprentice Poster

Postby Aliva21 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.
Aliva21
Apprentice Poster

Return to Help Needed