cat and pregnancy

farmers and pet owners can post their problems and get professional opinions....

cat and pregnancy

Postby sarvan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:11 pm

I have a 1 year old Cat. He was unwell, and according to my vet's diagnosis, he has T.gondii and Ascarids, so he is suffering from Toxoplasmosis. He gave an injection and is recovering quite well. But, my main concern is my sister-in-law is in the first month of pregnancy. As advised by the vet and according to my research in the net, the condition could affect the fetus.
But, the information on the net says, that she will get affected only when she inadvertently touches the faeces and thereby the oocysts. Also, the oocysts will not stick to the fur or in the faecal ejection areas, so it cannot be dropped off in the house.
Importantly, the oocysts will become infective or sporulate 24 hours after the cat has ejected the faeces. So, even if it drops its faeces inside the house, we have 24 hours to remove it.
Another information I got is, once the cat gets T.gondii and recovers from it, it will acquire immunity. So, even if the cat again gets T.gondii, it will not affect its' health and importantly will not shed or reshed the oocysts again.
So, if we are careful for 2-3 weeks of oocysts shedding, there won't be any future problems. (Also please explain about Ascarids). Please, Please answer whether these information are correct or whether these are un-researched findings. I want to be more than 100 percent sure that my sister-in-law and my future nephew/niece is safe. If possible, Can you please answer the question as soon as possible, because there is a lot of pressure in my family to evict my favorite cat. If you give a quick reply, it would be really helpful. Thanks
sarvan
Apprentice Poster

Re: cat and pregnancy

Postby vet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:32 am

Your concerns are not tollay unfounded; cats do transmit toxoplasmosis to humans and it can cause fetal deformity if transmitted to a woman just before or during pregnancy. But that does not require you to become paranoid. If your sister-in-law follows basic hygienic measures and you keep the cat's litter away from her, the chances of her acquiring the infection are minimal. If you have any doubts, you could have a TORCH test done on your sister-in-law to convince yourself whether or not she is infected currently.
Keeping a pet is fun as well as a responsibility; it seems your cat is not entirely indoors for her to have got the Tox infestion. You are right in saying that cats get immunity from the first or sometimes the second infection with T. gondii; however sometimes a hitherto immune cat may shed oocysts if its immunity is compromised (e.g. in FIV infection). Anyways the bottomline is keep your pet health and follow good hygiene. Also its not a rule that the cat's fur will be free from oocysts, so its better that she does not handle her too much and if she does cleans her hands with a disinfectant. The T. gondii oocysts are quite hardy and survive for months in external environment, however simple boiling is enough to kill them. So well cooked food even if previously contaminated will be free of any infrection.
Regarding Ascarid infection, again there is a chance of transmission to humans where it can lead to minor or sometimes severe manifestations. It looks like you have not been deworming your cat regularly. I would advise using Pyrantel paomate (@3.5 mg/kg body weight orally once daily for 3-5 days) or Albendazole @5mg/Kg body wight orally once daily for 3 days. In case you are using the latter treatment I would recommend a repeat of the course after a fortnight.
If you need more info feel free to ask,...
vet
Site Admin

Postby brendya » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 am

How safe is bleeding in pregnancy when theres a heart beat and cervix is closed? I'm 9 wks preagnant and have had about 4 episodes of vaginal bleeding only lasting 1 dy.I've heard that after seeing a heart beat and cervix closed possibilities of misscarrying are lower how true is this.What could be causing the bleeding or how common is this problem.I'm on vaginal suppositories and they say this should help strenghten pregnancy is there any else I can do I'm also on bed rest per Dr's orders.But I'm also scared eventhough I never have cramping or pain but at times I also pass alot of blood clots what could be the chances of this pregnancy of comming to full term.Please help me with some support at least.I've heard of women bleeding through there whole pregnancy and gooshing out blood I don't bleed that bad not to where I have to change my pad it's only when I urinate that alot of blood and clots come done at times.Help tx.
brendya
Apprentice Poster

Postby vet » Mon May 04, 2009 1:56 am

I don't think this is the right place to ask
vet
Site Admin

Postby gillasey » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Is there evidence that pregnancy causes the mother to develop an autoimmune disease? My grandmother and a cousin both developed severe rheumatic autoimmune diseases after pregnancy, when being previously fine before pregnancy. I have not been able to find any additional evidence of pregnancy causing an autoimmune disease to develop, but am wondering if anyone knows of a link between the two, either clinical or anecdotal.
gillasey
Apprentice Poster

Return to Help Needed