First woman dean for Madras Vety College

veterinary medical news posts from the veterinary world

First woman dean for Madras Vety College

Postby shyvet » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:08 pm

CHENNAI:(18Jul06)It was not until Friday that the 103-year-old Madras Veterinary College was for the first time being headed by a woman as its dean. Lalitha John's appointment as dean was made by N. Balaraman, the Vice Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University.
Dr. Lalitha was one among the two girls of the 120 students admitted to the college in 1966. It was not until 1948 that girls were admitted to the college, she recalls. Until the 1990s, only 14 students were girls. Today in a class of 120, at least 30 percent are girls. "Women veterinarians are a rarity. And we now have a woman as dean of the college," said Dr. Balaraman. Unlike in the city, veterinarians are part of the community in rural areas and hence there is more awareness. "Most girl students are from mufassil areas," she notes. Dr. Lalitha sees healthy competition as more women enter the profession. "I can empathise with girl students and women staff. With 33 years of service I would like to bring what I have learnt to the profession.I would like to set up a crèche for the non-teaching staff."

She began her career at the vaccine research institute at Ranipet. She returned to MVC for post graduation and research. She has worked with the ICAR on projects such as studying resistance to Helminthic disease in sheep and goats.
shyvet
Amature Poster

Return to Veterinary News